We are in the middle of summer and it seems like a heat wave has swept across the country. I was watching the weather on the news the other day and pretty much the whole country was red- meaning hot, very hot! Even here on the California coast, the fog clears early and it warms up by mid-morning.
When it is hot, I never want to eat a heavy meal. I made this salad the other day and it was so light, cool, and refreshing. Flavorful umami dressing is tossed with delicate soba noodles and crunchy vegetables.
Toss the noodles and dressing with any fresh, summer vegetables you have on hand. This is a great recipe to use what you have and to pack in lots of different veggies!
Soba noodles are made from buckwheat flour, which is gluten-free. They are popular in Japan and can be found in the Asian aisle at the grocery store. I made the dressing with Bragg amino acid, but soy sauce will work too!
Soba Noodle Salad with Miso Dressing
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 2 tablespoons Bragg amino acid or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey or 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
For the salad
- 1 (9.5 ounce) package Soba Noodles
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup peeled and sliced cucumbers
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- For the dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- For the salad, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add in the soba noodles and cook for 4 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Add the soba noodles to the large bowl with the dressing and mix to combine. Add in the radishes, scallions, bell peppers, cucumbers, and carrots. Stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes for flavors to meld and for salad to chill.
- In a small skillet, dry roast the sesame seeds over medium heat for about 3 minutes, until toasted and fragrant. Sprinkle over chilled salad for serving.