Sometimes, I scoop some on a green salad for a light lunch or dinner. When it’s hot outside I never feel like eating anything heavy. I have also served this with tortilla chips for a barbecue party. And of course this salad is great by itself!
For the salad, I used Bob’s Red Mill Black Bean Soup Mix. It has black beans, black-eyed peas, navy beans, and pearled barley. The lighter colored ingredients absorbed the black color when cooked, but they are in there! I like this bean mix because it doesn’t contain any additional seasonings. It’s up to you how you want to dress it up!
When I took my nutrition class during culinary school, my teacher kept raving about how good beans are for you. It is really true though! It is important to incorporate beans into your diet. They are high in fiber, low in fat, high in protein, and lower cholesterol and blood pressure. Oh, and did I mention they are tasty in this salad!
My mom taught me this trick for storing herbs in water. I thought everyone stored herbs this way until my friend mentioned that her herbs got limp so quickly after storing them in a bag in the refrigerator. I thought I would share this easy trick! I store the jars on the kitchen counter because they are pretty and smell fresh! It also makes for easy snipping! I also change the water after several days when it starts to discolor.
For the Beans
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Black Bean Soup Mix (will yield 3 cups cooked beans)
- 1 onion, chopped
For the Salad
- 1 (15 ounce can) corn, rinsed or 3 fresh ears of corn, cooked and kernels removed from cob
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add the beans to a saucepan, cover with water, and soak overnight (water should rise above beans by 1 inch). The next morning, strain and rinse beans. Place them in a saucepan and cover them with fresh water, add in the onion. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 45 minutes or until tender. Strain and let cool.
- Place beans in a large bowl. Add in the corn, red onion, feta cheese, and cilantro. Pour in the olive oil and red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Mix ingredients together and let sit for 30 minutes for flavors to meld together. Garnish with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro.
Store in the refrigerator, can be served cold or at room temperature.
Bob’s Red Mill Black Bean Soup Mix was provided to me, but opinions are my own.