I normally calculate how mild or severe the winter has been by how many times I have put on my heavy coat. After my very scientific calculation, I concluded that I had not put it on once this year, not once!
So, as you can imagine, I was all set for a cold day where I could snuggle up with a blanket and some warm soup. By noon, the fog had burned off and it was sunny and warm. This setback, however, did not interrupt my plans. I still made this chili!
This is a great recipe for leftover chicken. I had half a roaster chicken (dark and white meat) in my refrigerator that I needed to use. The lean protein, legumes, and vegetables make this dish healthy, yet hearty and satisfying.
Chili verde is traditionally spicy, however, I seeded the peppers, but actually could have used a bit more heat. If you like spicy foods, I would leave the seeds in or use additional peppers.
Chicken and White Bean Chili Verde Recipe
For the Chili
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced (leave seeds in if you like it spicy) *see note
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced (leave seeds in if you like it spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* poblano peppers often labeled as pasilla peppers
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- Sour Cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, poblano, and jalapeño. Add in the coriander, cumin, and oregano. Cook until vegetables are softened, about another 3 minutes. Add in the chicken stock and bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and beans. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, or until chicken and beans are heated through. Generously season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with green onions, radishes, cilantro leaves, a dollop of sour cream, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.