Recently, I have been cutting out carbs for dinner and instead eating mostly protein and vegetables. Eating most of my daily carbohydrate intake for breakfast and lunch, I feel like I have more energy throughout the day. After dinner, I also have more energy because I don’t have a carb heavy meal weighing me down and making me sluggish.
For a low-carb approach to dinner, I wrapped asian flavored turkey and vegetable filling with crisp, fresh lettuce. To get my carbs at lunch the next day, I made a brown rice bowl using the leftover filling.
These are also great as an appetizer served with additional soy sauce for dipping.
Asian Lettuce Wrap Recipe
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 5 green onions, sliced thinly, white and light green parts only
- Cilantro for garnish
- 1 lime
- With a pairing knife, remove the core from the bottom side of the lettuce. Peel away the outer layer of lettuce and discard. Gently peel away the layers of lettuce, being careful not to tear them. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned. Add the onions and cook until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, jalapeño, and carrots. Cook for another 2 minutes. Mix in the Chinese five spice, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Cook until soy sauce has been absorbed, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop meat mixture into the lettuce cups, doubling up lettuce cups if they are too thin. Garnish with green onions, cilantro leaves, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.