Did you know February 23rd is National Banana Bread Day? I didn’t either until yesterday when I read it on tastespotting! Well, perfect timing I thought to myself, I have very black, overripe bananas in my kitchen. To make my bread extra special, I kicked it up a notch with cinnamon glaze and pecans. I think it is a fabulous way to celebrate this delicious day!
The key to getting the most banana flavor in banana bread or muffins is to use overly ripe bananas. The bananas in the image will work, but I used bananas that were entirely black to get the most banana flavor.
Have overly ripe bananas, but no time to bake? Peel the bananas and place them in a freezer proof plastic bag. Freeze until you’re ready to use them. Thaw first and you are good to go!
Happy National Banana Bread Day! I hope you celebrate with something delicious!
Banana Bread Recipe
For the Banana Bread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Extra sugar and pecans for topping
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a 9X5 inch loaf pan.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon). In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter (make sure it is slightly cooled), eggs, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until flour is moistened. Mix in the mashed bananas and pecans. Try not to over mix the batter. Pour into prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with extra sugar and pecans. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing and cool completely on cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, cinnamon, and water. Drizzle over the top.
Makes 1 loaf