I am obsessed with this super simple and fresh salad. For some reason, grapefruit has been particularly juicy, sweet, and delicious this season. I paired the grapefruit with some winter kale and crunchy pumpkin seeds for a light salad.
For this recipe, it is perfectly acceptable to play with your food. Massaging the kale with extra virgin olive oil, salt, and lemon juice makes the kale leaves soft and tender. See the leaves before and after…kind of crazy what a difference a little massage can make!
I cut the grapefruit into supremes and then cut them into smaller pieces. Use oranges if you prefer.
Raw Kale and Grapefruit Salad Recipe
- 1 large bunch of curly kale, stems removed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 grapefruits
- 3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
- Place the kale in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with the salt, and add the lemon juice. Massage the kale for 2-3 minutes until the leaves are soft and coated in the oil.
- Slice off the top and bottom of each grapefruit. Run the knife down the sides of each grapefruit removing the peel and pith. Using a pairing knife, cut the fruit segments apart from in between the membranes. Cut supremes into bite size pieces.
- Stir the grapefruit into the kale. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.