Finally, a dessert you can feel “good” about eating while still satisfying your sweet tooth.
Lately, chai tea has been a must for me in the afternoon. I wanted to take those flavors and apply them to a healthy dessert.
The pears are naturally sweet and delicious. With a few added chai spices and a little bit of sugar, this is the perfect, light dessert.
Cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger are the spices I chose to incorporate into my chai spice. These spices give the pears a warming glow.
Chai Spiced Poached Pear Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon cardamom pods, cracked but seeds intact
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 (1/2 inch) slices of ginger
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 4 firm pears
- Creme fraiche for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, add the sugar, wine, lemon juice, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and let sugar dissolve.
- Add the pears and add a little water so that pears are completely submerged. Cover with the lid slightly ajar and cook until pears are tender, turning occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to a separate plate. Turn up the heat on the poaching liquid and reduce to about 1 cup. Spoon the syrup over the pears and dollop with creme fraiche.