Dessert is subjective. Sometimes you want a thick, rich piece of chocolate cake. Other times, you want a creamy, velvety custard. Today, it’s all about the times when you want a light, fruity, and a not-too-sweet dessert.
This lemon pound cake with strawberry white wine compote is more about the natural sweetness of the strawberries that are mixed with mildly sweetened white wine syrup served over a light and tender pound cake.
I serve the strawberry compote with the pound cake because it soaks up all the extra sweetened white wine syrup. Cake flour is used in the pound cake because it has a lower protein content than all purpose flour. The lower protein content in the cake flour makes the cake lighter and more tender.
I made this dessert for an afternoon luncheon. It is the perfect light dessert to serve at the end a meal.
LEMON POUND CAKE WITH STRAWBERRY WHITE WINE COMPOTE
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 (2 inch) lemon zest strips
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into thin pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, incorporating each egg before adding the next. Add in the vanilla and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and add them to the mixer. Mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then turn onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- In a saucepan, add the wine, sugar, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil and reduce by half, about 15 minutes. Remove the lemon zest and finely chop. Pour the wine mixture over the strawberries, add the chopped lemon zest, and chill. To serve, spoon the strawberries over the pound cake.
Makes 1 (8 inch) loaf
Pound Cake Recipe Adapted From Barefoot Contessa